Tuesday, September 11, 2007

'Nips and Tatties of Trivia

'Nips (turnips, pronounced "neeps") and Tatties (potatoes) are a very common vegetable accompaniment to dinner, and oh so tasty! Those who said we wouldn't find anything good to eat here... well, you were wrong. I've found the food to be quite to my liking, maybe a bit too much... hmmm...

Scotland's patron saint is St. Andrew, the apostle who was crucified in Greece. He said he was not worthy to be crucified upright as Jesus was, so they put him on a sideways cross. Scotland's flag is blue and white (Greece's colors), the white in the shape of a sideways cross. Regulus had a vision that he was to take Andrew's remains (relics) to a "far off land", so off he went with Andrew's bones in tow. He eventually landed on Scotland, where St. Andrew's is, imagine that!

Scotland's flower is the thistle. I believe the story is that a Viking raiding party tried to surprise a camp of Scots, but they ran through a field with thistles in it. Many of them cried out as the thistles pricked them, effectively warning the Scotsmen. In reward for the thistle's loyalty, they made it their flower.

Today we set off from our hotel in Ft. William to the shopping centre of Ft. William. The last store we went into I could have spent several days and fortunes, but sadly I had neither. We were (-slightly-) late getting back to our bus and received a round of applause. I think we are getting a reputation. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. We're affectionately refered to as "the girls" though so I don't think its -too- serious.

After leaving the city, we stopped at Inverlochy Castle ruins. It seemed a small castle to me, but perhaps it was more imposing back when it had all its floors and buttresses. Michael, our tour guide, pictured here... gave us many bits of information today while we were driving. It rained, and the windows of the coach were so splattery I couldn't take many pictures. I instead kept up a constant narrative in my journal.

"Sometimes we are driving and I can almost forget it is 2007. How wonderful!"

"If I could live in the Highlands, I would never leave. I want to keep writing, trying to detail and describe each blade of grass, each petal and leaf of Heather, burn it into my memory... but as I've said, words fail me. Michael has put on some beautiful Scottish music to accompany our drive and it is doing a much better job at capturing my feelings than my words are. Surely this is where God lives. It is Heaven to me."

"There are remnants of old stone walls everywhere, covered with yellow-green moss, the stone black with age and moisture. A gate off to the side proclaims life is being sheltered even out here. The last house was almost an hour ago."

"Ahh... we turn a corner and the wilderness fades away as we enter a little port village. The mountains have stepped back now and on the left the land is nearly flat leading down to the Sound... Turn another corner and here lies the ocean. I love seeing the vastness of it stretching out into nothingness."

We boarded the ferry in Malaig for the Isle of Skye... is that not the coolest name? I think it is, and they have my favorite plaid as well. The ferry wasn't very long, I did manage to take a couple of videos, but I'm going to try my hand at putting them to music before I post them.

We landed on the Isle and made our way to the Kyle of Lochalsh where our hotel lives (lucky thing that). Our day consisted of quite a bit of driving and tidbits of information. We ended with a lovely dinner, which happens every night, and then we retired to our rooms. Anna and I watched a bit of a program on the 9-11 tragedy and then fell asleep.

7 comments:

A clever name said...

Love the pics, and the history :), I didn't know that, I'll need to learn this stuff if I plan to follow through with my idea of passing myself off as Scottish, going over there and challenging them to a whiskey drinking contest, where I shall smite them.

I'm sure y'all's reputation is a good one, well they better hope it is, other wise *shakes a fist* I'll pop out of one of the turnip fields and kick them mightily.

Glad you two are seeing so much and keeping us posted! :)

Anonymous said...

Seriously it makes me want to over come the fear of flying and figure out a way to get some money and go see. But I still need to firgure out what to do with my little people. Well one of them for sure as the othe rwould be more than willing to go and NOT through tantrums every time I turn around.

I miss you my darling cousin.
Ruv.

Hillary said...

I missed this one for who knows how long because banana's post comes before it date-wise. Glad I scrolled down. Thanks for the lovely "journal" narrative. I'm glad you're loving it so much. I don't suppose they have travelling medical people over there, do they???

Hillary said...

Also, love "The Grog & Gruel." And why haven't you sallied forth in any of the photos? I want to see you enjoying your heaven.

Unknown said...

WONDERFUL......words and pictures. I agree with Hil....get pho-tioed youself. How do we know you are really there? Mom and Dad

Haven said...

Grog! Grog! Grog! Grog! Ahh...memories of Monkey Island, no? Wow, poop. You just need to be bringing the whole island back with you. All of it. Just go ahead and pack it up in your suitcase. No one will know. It will be our secret. *shifty eyes*

Haven said...

And yes. More pink toes of your loverly visgage, please. We've seen Anna. Now we want the Poop! ;)

Nubs

<3