Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Miles of Isles

Today we ended up at Eilean Donan, but that story will come later for our journey there was quite spectacular as well. We woke up early, as we have all tour, and set off to Portree (Port of the King) to meet up with our local guide, George. He had many stories and legends to impart to us as we drove around the northern section of the Isle of Skye. I was having trouble paying attention to him, I'm sad to admit, because I was so distracted by everything I could see.


I know I am sounding quite redundant, but its not my fault the scenery gets more and more beautiful every day! Sorry folks, miss me if you must, but I'm staying here! ;) This post is going to be picture intensive, can't be helped. I cut the number down as much as I felt I could, but I want you to see as much as possible. The pictures don't even do the Isle justice.

The purple is of course heather and it is absolutely everywhere here. You aren't allowed to bring any fresh heather out of the country because of the agriculture laws and whatnot, but there were a few of our group that would pick a sprig and wear it. I contented myself with taking a thousand or so pictures of it :) Give or take a few hundred.

Yes, more heather, I did warn you. ;) If you look closely you can make out the edge of the land then just above that, before the clouds start, you can see more land that is quite a bit farther away. The shoreline of Skye cuts in and juts out with such frequency, I believe we were told, that the measured distance around would be 3,000 miles should you walk along the shore.

Taking a step away from the coast the scenery is no less beautiful, with small groupings of houses dotting the hills. It is not uncommon to see small watch tower structures on the hills surrounding the groups of houses. Some are in ruin, but a good number still look like they could be usable.

Inlets, bays and islands create a complex lacework pattern with the ocean. Standing on the edge of a cliff looking out into the sea and sky it was easy to feel brilliantly lost in space and time. This picture turned out much better than I thought it would. Can you see where the land ends and the sea begins? How about where the water ends and there is land again before the sky? I imagine this would make for a good jigsaw puzzle, what do you think?

This picture is one of my favorites. I might have to make a print and hang it on the wall. Its very hard for me to look away from it though, so maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to have it on my wall. This was taken at the same stop as the one following. In fact, turning roughly 135 degrees to the left and walking about 150 metres you'd end up where I took the next shot. All approximates of course ;)

The railings and barriers are a new addition to the cliffs. As you can imagine, many people lost their lives (whether by accident or not I am not at liberty to say ;) ) over the edge and found their new home on the rocks below. (Broken record alert) The beauty is simply astounding. The Isle has diversity, but every bit of it makes you take a deep breath of wonder and appreciation.

There are so many waterfalls in the Highlands. I assume that is because there is always moisture collecting at the tops of all the magnificent mountains, but don't quote me ;) I have almost as many pictures of waterfalls as I do of heather! This one was taken at the same spot as the one below. This time just turning 180 degrees would give you the view.

The stone standing in the far right of the picture is the Old Man of Storr. As I mentioned earlier, I was having a time paying attention to all the information George had for us, through no fault of his storytelling, I assure you. I was simply enthralled with my surroundings. I do remember him saying that they would let convicts who were sentenced to death choose to spend the night with the Old Man of Storr as their sentence. If I recall correctly, they would find those who chose this option the next morning, dead, with no mark on them. All very intriguing.

Needless to say, I will be coming back to repeat this tour. George was kind enough to give me his card and offered to take me on some of the paths and climbs around the Isle while he told me more of their history. I will leave you with this last shot for your viewing pleasure. Keep in mind, all these pictures were taken within 3 hours of one another. The locals have a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." We had wonderful weather all day, in my opinion, but I am quite partial to grey clouds and mists. The sun did make a bit of an appearance, but when I muttered, "Bah, I don't want to see you sun!" it quite obediently, and immediately, went back behind the clouds for the rest of the day. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must repeat myself. Have to get over fear of flying.

It is absolutely gorgeous.

Haven said...

Beautiful...next time, I'm tagging along. Just let us know plenty of time in advance to scrimp up the fundage.

A clever name said...

Wow, the place looks and sounds so awesome. I'ma have to get me on of them J words so's I can get money an go there sometime.

That's right! You tell that sun to go away, dang right it'll listen! I tried to glare at the sun here earlier, to make it go away, and now I can't see too well.

Unknown said...

I'm loving your photos! Should we make enlargements and sell them to finance the next trip?