Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Come On Eilean! (Donan ;))

Contrary to some people's belief, Eilean Donan was not the name of a woman (though I'm still going to use the lyrics :P). No, Eilean (pronounced E-lan) is a word for Island (I think you can draw the connection with that one, eh?). Eilean Donan is the name of the bit of land where they built Eilean Donan Castle (again, I'm fairly confident you're following me). It is beautiful, and parts are still being lived in by the Clan McCrae.

It is surrounded by Loch Duich, Loch Alsh and Loch Long. The island was connected with the mainland via a stone-built bridge in c1937. How would you like to wake up each morning with this in your backyard? I think I could get used to it. :) The tide was out when we arrived, but we returned the following day for those who didn't go on the tour with us to get some pictures. So I have some with the tide out and some with it in.


Anna and I wandered around a bit and came out onto a balcony. This strapping young lad called up to us, saying we were on the Juliet balcony... so me being me, quipped, "Well, give us your lines, Romeo." He didn't have any lines prepared, but he posed nicely for the camera. He met us as we were exiting the stairwell and handed me his sword saying, "Would you like to hold my weapon?" Again, this is me, like I'm going to pass up an opportunity to handle a blade. I took it and said, "We were hoping to see a Claymore..." Our luck, they had had a Claymore on loan for the season and it had just been picked up two hours before we got there.

By this time we'd reached the main courtyard again and so we took some photos (see Anna's Hello again, naturally post). Yes, somewhere there is a pic of me holding his sword to his throat as I make to behead him. Good times that. He next gave us a special tour through some of the castle's secrets... and one of their country's secrets... I think you know what I'm getting at, eh?

If not, allow me to sing a bit for you... "With you in that kilt my thoughts, I confess, verge on dirty. Ah come on Eilean ('s kilt wearing guide)! These guides 'round here wear wary watchful eyes, sunk in smoke dried faces, they're so resigned to what their fate is... but not us, no, not us, we are far too young and clever! Ah come on, let's take off everything, that pretty red kilt, Eilean..." Yeah, now you get it...


To find out the answer to the age old question of "What does a Real Scotsman wear under his kilt?" click here! And to get the whole story of how it all came about, you'll just have to ask us when we get home. Don't worry Mom and Dad, it's nothing -that- bad.

I'm probably going to go to jail if this is seen, but I really liked the inscription so I had to take a picture. It says, in case its unreadable, "I mark the hours do'st thou". I considered taking it with me but, I thought a photo would be the lesser of the two evils. I'm pretty sure it was in an area that they didn't want photos taken, so this will be our little secret, right?

Another secret that you'll need to keep hush-hushed is this shot. This is the old well, and tourists aren't allowed down this close to it alone. We weren't alone (thanks to our new friend), but I think the actual ruling is that tourists don't get to be there at all. Lucky us, eh? :) If you click on the picture, you can see that there are stalactites and stalagmites forming around the doorway. They are still too far away from each other to have any Mite-tites forming any time soon. It was a lovely shot, I had taken one earlier from farther away (where I was allowed to be), but this was much better.


This plaque was at the bottom of a memorial that listed all those of the Clan McCrae who had died in battle. It listed which battle, the date, what their rank was... it was very impressive. The words say, "We are the dead. Short days ago we lived, felt dawn, saw sunsets glow, loved and were loved, and now we lie in Flander's Fields." There is so much history and tradition here, it makes me realize just how young our country is indeed.



This is the Castle the following day when the tides were in; I thought these a good pair of bookends for the post. How many times can I say how beautiful and fascinating it is here? Not enough, never enough. You'll all just have to make your own ways here and find out for yourselves. You won't regret it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a disturbing picture. I think I may be partially blind. But thanks for the answer to the question.


Ruv and Miss You.

Haven said...

Jeremy has deemed you the Traveling Trollops, and wants me to write a book about you.

But man, I wish I was there...in the non-trollopy way.

Heidi A Wilde said...

We are totally NOT Trollops! It was all very innocent and above-board (we learned the origin of that phrase too, btb)! Yes, Poopy, you do wish you were here.

A clever name said...

Well then, seems like that was a cheeky lad, ha ha *here's someone in the back shout "Boo!" then is hit with a rotten tomato* ahem, well then.

Unknown said...

You know, the Scotts used to 'moon' their enemies. Are you sure that was a friendly gesture?

Hillary said...

Yeah, I went outside last night and it was nearly a full moon here too.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

A real Scotsman never wears anything beneath his kilt... except maybe a blue ribbon. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ouuPyYVDw