Sunday, September 9, 2007

Into the Highlands!

Hello and good evening! I am sitting in the lobby of the Caledonian Hotel because that is the -only- place where the wi-fi is picking up a signal. Our tour director told us not to expect the level of facilities that we enjoyed in our Glasgow hotel. I confess to have taken him a bit more seriously than I aught, thinking we'd barely have running water and electricity. With comments of "Yes, there's running water... right down the walls as its always raining there." And "Yes, of course there is indoor lighting, I've made sure they'll include matches with your candles." And, "Well it is rated 5 stars... as you can see them all through the ceiling." can you blame me?

He's quite amusing, and I'm sure was trying to paint this place in the best light possible. *grins* It is actually very nice and with the exception of the dodgy internet connection, it is every bit as good as the hotel we were in during our stay in Glasgow. As you can see, our room is charming.

My laptop battery is saying I have 30 mins left and since I can't plug it in down here, I guess I will take that as a fact. We began our day with an excellent breakfast and drove out of Glasgow to Loch Lomond. We rode up the loch for about an hour. No, sadly, I did not get to drive this time. The scenery is breath taking. (More later)

After a bit of a drive following our cruise, we stopped at Inverary Castle, family seat of the Dukes of Argyll, heads of the Clan Campbell. The 13th Duke is in residence, coming into the Dukedom at the age of 35 when his father died unexpectedly.

We had a tour of the part of the castle that is open to the public. Our tour guide was a spunky little 70 yr old woman who really made the history come to life. We'll be getting the other side of the story later in the tour when we visit the lands of the Campbell enemies. It really makes me feel like I was born in the wrong age.

I think I will post this now as my laptop does not keep the same time as I do, for it is threatening to shut me off after only 2.5 mins!

5 comments:

A clever name said...

Cool, not a bad lookin room, can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Anonymous said...

Hey I fall into the clan campbell. My grandma went to a family gathering in that location I think. I remember seeing a shirt. Glad you are having some good fun.

Hillary said...

I do like your room. It is charming. You may like the romantic notions of days gone by, but, well, since you like to read, write and pursue other vocations, as a woman, I think you really do prefer living in this age, no?

Anonymous said...

It's all beautiful and wonderful and has that 'historic' aura we have rrread aboot, aye. I can't believe you haven't (ahem) UNEARTHED the mystery of the kilts yet. You are the daughter who gets the Picadors to give up their horse to you, the ship captns give the helm over to you!! Com'on, don't disappoint us! Be safe, nubs

Heidi A Wilde said...

I suppose the reading, writing and persuing other "masculine" interests does make me glad I am living here and now... but seeing these buildings and hearing the history... its getting to be a toss up! ;)

I am sorry, Mother, I will redouble my efforts to 'uncover' the truth of the kilt mystery. We have almost two weeks still, and I am confident I will be victorious!