Monday, September 17, 2007

my bonny lies over the ocean..


The coastline of Scotland rocks. Literally. Even the Shetland coast. We had tea with this lovely view, and was tempted to buy a lovely hand knitted hat at the shop. Sadly I didn't even take a picture of it, though I did get a lovely pic of an odd toilet seat. I'll spare you, though :)


Apparently this is the most photographed spot on Shetland (I have 5, myself). They say on a clear, calm day you can sail through the space in the rock. I'll take their word for it :P


Here's Michael (our tour guide) being very careful to follow the "rules" of not falling over the cliff. I thought this was a good pic to show how easy that would be.


Every day we would rotate where we sat on the bus. This day I got to sit behind Alec, our driver :) I kept teasing that I was gonna put my hands over his eyes while he's driving, saying "guess who?!?". He seemed to think it mildly amusing. At least i got a smile out of him. I love him :) Lovely green, eh?


A lovely photo of water. If, however, you see a miniature longboat, it means you believe in Trows (the Shetland Troll). Do you see it?


This vicious creature almost cost us our lives. shortly after taking its picture it reared up, its long fangs gleaming and screamed like a banshee. Actually we wanted to make fun of Larry(a nurse we work with). He freaked out Heidi before we left about land leeches, and how they were everywhere and out to get us. I don't think they really exist, so we took this photo of the closest thing we could find. Looks quite juicy, eh?


This is in one of the "wheel houses". I was trying to get a good pic of Bob and Joan. They are so cute! She turned 81 toward the end of the trip. You can also see Jesse smiling and Jan's head hid behind Bob's hat.


Here's evidence of a real Trows cave. Exlusive footage, here. Only anyone who goes to the museum can see it. I really was a lot more impressed with Shetland that I thought I would be. I wouldn't mind coming back for Up Helly Aa, a festival where they spend 8 months building a viking longboat, then on the last day of January they have a huge celebration and burn it down. Then I can run around screaming "fire! fire!" with my shirt over my head like Beavis. yeah.

4 comments:

A clever name said...

Aww, why spare us, I collect pictures of odd toilet seats, some people have stamps, I have my odd toilet seats pics, I keep them in one of those pink fuzzy lid covers that I converted into a photo book.

Yeah I think it's a good idea to take their word about that, is an awesome rock tho.

Gah, a tiny longboat. Gah, a horrifying man eating land-bound seamonster. Gah, a Trow cave. Gah, I've said Gah too many times.

Anonymous said...

This is great stuff. New posts again please.

banana said...

woo hoo! and i just noticed i used a photo very similar to one of heidi's. heh :)

Haven said...

Yay! We have some updates! It's about time! More! MORE, I say!

That creature looked very ferocious. I'm surprised you survived at all. You are soooooo brave and soooo my heroes!